Skip to main content

Reply to "enough advice...thanks..."

Mchlwlsh posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:

Is there a chance it went down like this:

Assistant coach is the only one keeping track of who is injured and who isn't and he was off when your kid started pitching.  After the third inning of your kid was pitching he walked out, saw who was on the mound and then told the other coaches "we have a problem".  At that point he called your kid over and said "Are you even allowed to be running yet?" Meaning....aren't you still hurt kid?  Your kid responds with a cocky singsong answer “my doctor said that I can't sprint to my fullest yet.” The Assistant snapped, “that's not what I asked you.”...wouldn't it make more sense in this scenario of WHY the assistant snapped, why the senior assistant told him to just go home, and why the head coach jokingly said he was going to hit him with a clip board?   Then you got an email about how cocky your kid is and did it possibly mention that he isn't taking his health seriously?

Pitching is one of the hardest activities you can do to your legs....I'm not a doctor but I would guess repetitive slamming of your legs downhill on a mound isn't something that should be tried unless you ARE fully recovered and can sprint and jog. And maybe it's possible that your kid has been told before about watching his health but he's ignoring the coaches and coming off as a cocky know it all who made the team in 8th grade so you know, he's already hot stuff and knows it all.

Just guessing

haha, how did you know? have you heard me asking him if hes done his stretches, if he has done his band drills...

and yes, that is why I am meeting with the coaches...I want to find out what was said. I simply dont know, I get an email out of the blue saying that there is a problem. his PT is a sports med therapist, he knows he pitches. what has colored my perception of the situation is the coaches reputation, which is not good.

I was a HS athlete and understand the mindset that it takes to be a successful one.  I had to have a what the southerners call a "come to Jesus meeting" with my son when he was 12. 

The gist of the meeting was "The days of you sliding by on your natural ability are OVER, you need to loose that chip on your shoulder and actually listen to what your coaches are telling you, or you can sit on the bench.  I won't be defending you to your coaches, or asking what you did wrong, or fixing it.  You need to figure it out, this is between YOU and the coach. I have paid him the same amount the other parents have and here is a newsflash HE DOESN'T CARE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE IN THE PAST AND DOESN'T CARE IF YOU ACTUALLY PLAY!  He will only play you if you can help him win and no coach will play you with your attitude.  So, you can get over yourself now and do what the man is telling you to do or you can sit on the bench during every game and next year I won't pay for baseball, your choice."

Fall ball was rough, he struggled with being one of the best kids at practice, but then getting very little playing time.  However, by Spring he had given 100% in practices and listened to the coach and he earned his starting spot.  It was a real turning point, I honestly didn't know if he could do it.  Us parents are so use to fixing everything for our kids but when it comes to sports what the parents need to understand is that the only thing the coach owes your kid is the truth.  Some kids can handle that, some can't.