Skip to main content

Reply to "enough advice...thanks..."

Mchlwlsh posted:
ClevelandDad posted:

The coach must have one redeeming quality eh? - he picked your son as an 8th grader and you seemed like you were thrilled by that.  If he was such a bad guy, why not extricate yourselves from the situation then? 

You seem more politically connected than most (all?) I've seen post here.  You seem to know what every other coach and former player thinks of this coach and have no qualms about swapping stories about this coach - behind his back no less. 

Perhaps you have poisoned the well with your son.  If you feel you have been treated so "egregiously," I cannot see how that does not trickle down to your son. 

Let your son stand on his own two feet and fight his own battles.  The best way to win over the coach is keep the mouth closed and be the first to arrive and the last to leave.  Have your son use deeds and not dialog to make his point with the coach.  Your son cannot control a coach's decision.  All he can control is his own attitude and effort.  I think you've made it eminently harder for your son to learn that by playing politics behind the scenes and not just letting things happen as they ought to. 

Politically correct, I guess, I am trying to take in opinions...As i have said in earlier responses...I have defended these coaches on numerous occasions, to my son too. Redeeming...I have never spoken with the head coach, that is how far I have been staying. I have actually kept pretty quiet about the coaching staff until now, as I have said in past posts, this coaches reputation precedes him, we did not experience what was said to us until now.

What I have been trying to express is the confusion created by this situation and there is a disconnect somewhere...thats why I need advice...and do not get; he showed he was able to pitch, he pitched well, why would he be sent home? That is issue, we were lead to believe that everything was ok then I get this email as if my son was a turd the whole time. We get a ninth graders opinion and dont know what to think. that is why I am meeting with the coaches.

I have even gone as far as getting some one-on-one instruction with his coach at the baseball academy to show my son that he is not some monster. 

Oh man, quit!  As the parent of a 2020 I'm telling you you are going WAY overboard.  You are now going to pay the baseball coach...what $50 for some one on one time with your kid?  Why? 

Okay, quick word of advice from someone who is SURROUNDED by people who are doing exactly what you are doing, just stop!  Fly under the radar, let your kid fly under the radar and only shine when it comes to what he can do on the field.  This advice is under great debate on this board but in my opinion you should only talk to the high school coach if there is a health issue.  Other than that I don't see the point.  He's got papers to grade, classes to cover, lesson plans to make, workouts to map out, batting orders to figure out, college recruiters to get back in touch with...etc.  If the coach says your kid is being a punk, and you know your kid has a tendency to be a punk then he was likely a punk and he should sort it out with the coach.