Skip to main content

Reply to "enough advice...thanks..."

mmm1531 posted:
RJM posted:
TPM posted:

This entire topic is whiney.

I would like to dedicate a song to this thread. I hadn't thought of this song, nor heard it in years until just now.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qjp_iG9vzEU

come on man you should know, although a little whining is acceptable.... there is absolutely no crying allowed in baseball.

Got to see Joe once in a bar setting , probably less than 30 people there, wow what a show.

Actually whining isn't acceptable. It's deplorable. But I'll bet most posters have slipped up at least once. I was on a ledge when my son tore up his knee the first weekend of post junior year showcasing. 

The reality is whining doesn't accomplish anything. It's better just to state the circumstances to the best of your ability and ask what people think. 

I played college ball. By the time my son got to varsity (soph year) I had coached 18u showcase softball and 16u baseball. I've seen a lot. Far more often than it's the coach's fault the kid has concocted some story to place blame on the coach to deflect what really occurred.  Other times it's parents not understanding high school ball is big boy ball. They want to advocate for their son rather than teach him how to stand up for himself and be accountable.

Sometimes as parents we forget how we handled situations when we were our kid's age. When my son was a soph the varsity coach humiliated my son in a manner I felt was unprofessional. I was steamed. I was still steamed a week later. My son told me he was over it so, DAD, GET OVER IT! It was a valuable lesson. Never be more pissed off than your kid.

I also had a WWII veteran Marine dad who handled any situation this way, "You can be a pussy and quit. Or you can man up." The first time he to,d me I was ten in LL.

Last edited by RJM