Skip to main content

Reply to "Another Interesting Read"

To be exact, here is what I said.

quote:
Actually, other than this steroid problem, the game might actually be even more wholesome than it was many years ago.

You ask...
quote:
Can you give specifics? I would like to know what's wholesome about players injecting HGH from a dentist (used as an example).

Wasn't trying to send a message to young people???

If I did send a message it would be that other than illegal drugs, baseball is a great and wholesome game.

I'd rather send that message as a promoter of the game, than to tell all the young people and the unknowing parents...
quote:
The sad part is that the purity and innocense of the game has disappeared.

That would be concentrating on the negative.

What is wholesome about the game?

Well it's not the drugs... Don' think I said that!

But each year there are more and more MLB players who have excelled at academics and have college degrees. There is a much lower number of alcoholics in the game. Players don't smoke or chew as much as in years gone by. There is much more media coverage that keeps players from hiding things from the public. Players are in better condition now than years ago (think Babe Ruth, Beer and Hotdogs) Little League and College baseball are drawing record numbers of new fans because of media coverage. There are a lot less crooked players and even crooked umpires. (remember the Black Sox), players now days don't sharpen their spikes to cut up their opponents, like Ty Cobb. I could go on and on, but my point is OTHER THAN DRUGS, baseball is more wholesome than ever. You just have to study the history to realize that.