Skip to main content

Reply to "Another Nail in the Coffin?"

[QUOTE]Normally I would think that the average JV roster, for example, would be say 18 or so kids.

In a school with decent talent, probably 10-12 of those roster spots are no brainers. It's the last spots that can be tricky. Different coaches have different reasonings for their picks. For example:

- The big strong kid who might be a bit clumsy. You might be able to teach him to pitch or hit to use that strength.

- The fast kid. Role player as a pinch runner, and maybe he will improve.

- The pitcher. The young kid who may not hit well or be fast, but can throw BB's. That's what a DH is for.

The list can go on.[QUOTE]

This year i am in betwen varsity and jv because i am working on some control issues i=on the mound but that is a different story. Where this comes into play for me is i actually got a reason as to why i would be pulled up after talking with the coach to find out where i had to work in order to get up to varsity. I don't know if it is in my area or what but the general idea that i have found with coaches is the kids who fill out those roster spots are hard workers. they will work their butt off, run into a wall for a ball, and sacrafice his body for the good of the team. The only kids who see the ME in team are those who have God- given talent and will put up numbers. i have seen kids taken to pitch but not at the 18 or 19th spot. on a roster that big, they are in the middle if not the top few picks a coach will make.

another thing i ave to say is i feel kind of sorry for the kids who have had mom and dad holding their hand the whole way so far because if their parent thinks they can talk to the varsity coach or a college coach and convince them why little billy who throws mid 70's should be starting in front of johnny who throws 90's and off speed and has a division one college comittment then they have another thing coming. the only thing i have to say i can't stand about these parents are the ones who talk badly about kids that are starting in front of their son. i feel that talk like that is just bad and won't help the good of the team at all because it is a bit hard to biuld team unity when a parent is trashing a person his or her son needs to play with on a daily basis and it give that sense of entitlement instead of telling their kid he shoudl work harder which pushes him and everyone at his position to compete for this spot.

i perpose that all children live at school during the baseball season in a dorm setting like college players who don't have mommy and daddy looking out for them and without a chance of them getting into too much trouble thus making the team better. this is all in good humor of course because we all know the money for that isn't even close to there even for the bigger schools but it would be kind of cool, wouldn't it?
Last edited by bigheat27-42