Skip to main content

Reply to "Another Nail in the Coffin?"

What is honestly sad about the whole thing is that the message imparted to these kids is not, 'Work hard and you will get your shot' but 'If you don't make something automatically just p**s and moan about it to people in the administration until they give you your way.'

I think the explosion of the different leagues and the age increase of kids from 12-18u has been a good thing. It allows kids that wouldn't have the ability to play baseball the chance to go out and play America's Pastime. But it does sometimes cause confusion with parents, especially the ones that have gotten the idea that their son is some kind of phenom. The same kids that saw their son tear it up in league play are all of a sudden shocked when they find tha their superstar isn't the automatic best player on the team.

Most parents understand and use this as a life lesson. I know I have with my son. Not good enough to make varsity, well there is your motivation to work harder and make it next year. Didn't make JV, well get off your butt and put the playstation remote down and start working on your 40 time.

Every kid has a plateau that they hit but unfortunately some parents can't see what that plateau is. A large number of kids know, and often are cool with just playing.
Last edited by Wklink