Skip to main content

Reply to "Another Nail in the Coffin?"

quote:
Originally posted by fillsfan:
I don't believe that will to compete has anything to do with the way things are run today. ie participation trophies and no cuts. I believe kid has it or he doesn't. Whether they are born with it or pick it up from their parents, I'm not sure, but if a player is driven and competitve he will not let these things distract him or use them as an excuse. I do think though that a parent, from a very early age, who continually makes excuses for their child not succeeding can hurt a child's will to compete.

I see what you are saying...and I agree...but I still think that the structure and environment of sports today doesn't help the cause.

There was no making excuses for yourself or your kid when you had to TRY OUT for the Little League Team.

what about the rec leagues that now have MULTIPLE "All Star" teams?

When I was a kid it was EXPECTED that if you weren't one of the best on the field, or your were the youngest, you wouldn't get much playing time.

When I was pulled up to Varsity as a FR, I was excited to get pulled up. I never figured I'd actually pitch much if at all. My Dad thought the same thing.

THAT has definitely changed.

I truly believe that kids today, for the most part, don't experience disappointment or failure early in life. I truly believe that experiencing this and DEALING with it help build a person in to the adult they become.

I remember not making the local team when I was YOUNG. I was upset. My Dad told me I had two options.

Sit on my butt and get fat, or work my butt off and make it the next year. It felt SO GOOD To make that team the following year.