Skip to main content

Reply to "Answering a Coach when not interested"

smokeminside posted:

Seems like folks here say don't close any doors.  I tend to agree with that. If your son is interested in similar schools what's makes this one different?  How confident is he that he's going to get another offer? If it's clear that he would never go to school here no matter what, I think a nice email  from him to the Coach thanking him for his interest but saying your son is looking elsewhere would be fine.

I agree with Smoke.  I don't like to close doors unless 100% sure after talking to coaches and visiting the school.  If he has other concrete, 100% bona fide offers then I think being honest and appreciative is the way to go.  It is your money and your decision.   "Thank the coach for his interest and time.  However, you are interested in several other schools at this time, and you don't want to waste his time and money any further".   I would just leave it at that.

Howevver, if there is a sliver or hint of interest (at this point in time...assuming RD), I would call the Coach and let him make a case for his school.  You have nothing to lose and he has nothing to lose.  My reasoning for this approach is there is a huge number of people on this website who have reported finding their "diamond in the rough" late in the process by keeping doors open. 

JMO.