Skip to main content

Reply to "Any 2022s out there reclassifying?"

We can have all sorts of feelings around the concept of reclassifying, but what no one can ignore is the math.  In many cases - if not most - we're talking about kids who have had college baseball dreams since they started forming memories.  All the math right now says that the longer you can string the journey along/ride out the storm, the better your chances of continuing to play.  Don't get me wrong, I can fully appreciate the logic and reason around kids coming back down to earth and focusing on education and career, but I'm 46 years old; not 17.  If you've got a child who is mature and uncharacteristically wise at age 17 to such things, you're child is likely the exception.  Very few children walk away from their short, but life long dreams simply because the math doesn't look good.  What is more likely?  A 17 year old crunching the numbers in ways that keeps his dreams alive or crunching the numbers that will tell him it's time to hang up the cleats?  Of course kids are reclassifying and will continue to do so.  And if it floats your boat, talk about how dumb you think that decision is.  But the tendencies of gen Z are not secret.  They've been well known for a long time now, so I always sort of chuckle when I see Gen Xer's or whatever in disbelief over how they operate.  If you struggle with it, then your journey to becoming your parents is complete.  These kids are dreamers.  And if it means severely handcuffing the next 20-30 years of their lives just to chase their dreams over the next few years, they're going to do it.