Skip to main content

Reply to "Any good showcases/camps to attend in upper midwest for D2/D3"

Burger posted:

Thanks northland, matt13, iowamom23 and 3&2.

Gov - My son has been doing lifting and speed/agility with professional trainers for a number of years now.  Speed has/will always been an issue for son and we have worked on it for as long as I can remember.  The funny thing is he is always in the top 3 for stolen bases (not on pass balls) on his teams because he reads the P/C so well and his game speed is better (maybe because he is running for his life) than his timed speed.  It is kind of like a smart kid that has a hard time with standardize tests.  This is why that showcases which include games will be more beneficial for son because he plays better than his metrics. 

Game speed, Field IQ can’t be replaced - excellent.  Didn’t intend to be harsh on 60 comment but we dealt w a lot of pain w that w my 2018.  Finally son got below 7.0 late Junior yr... he always  played well at showcases, he had the game speed.... but running 7.2/ 7.3 crossed him off lists unless they happen to see him in a game. Was 6.85 at Showball August as incoming Sr.

Check this out: son is working his butt off, goes to a HF Camp runs a 7.2, and they recorded him as a 7.8 from the guy next to him .   At this HF HC Boretti (Columvbia) is on the field two games watching him, standing behind, great plays, advances on few bases, and Boretti says:  “you sure don’t look like a 7.8 kid”.  Son ignores comment wondering where the 7.8 came from.

Monday after, Son calls RC for WashU and talks about his performance: RC says: “w a 7.8 you won’t be playing college ball”.  So defeating ... 3 weeks later HF changed his time, alerting all attending coaches ... little late.  Lots of coaches at that event said they’d watch him, now we know they didn’t wAtch.   The coaches will use the metrics to prioritize where they will spend their time watching whom.  

Sounds like your son has a great attitude! Good luck!