Skip to main content

Reply to "Any ideas what college sports look like this year?"

I have on daughter who plays Big 10 basketball and her boyfriend plays football at the same school. My other daughter manages WBB in the ACC. At both schools, the kids do not all stay in the same dorms (football or basketball). For summer work outs, they got tested every 5 days and both they and contacts were quarantined if tested positive. Football cohorted work outs in a way that if someone got COVID, you wouldn't lose all your linemen. Basketball did the same (so not all the guards practiced together). I believe the football team had 5 kids test positive, WBB didn't have any. The school was less prepared to support quarantined kids than I would have hoped and the prognosis for fall and winter sports literally changes daily. For example, the ACC has a nearly firmed up (conference only) football schedule but the Big 10 hasn't finalized theirs. For basketball, the ACC is talking about grouping away games (e.g. ND will play Duke, UNC and NC State all in the same 5 day period) but they haven't finalized that yet. The girls basketball team got sent back home (which is normal) and the date for their return to school has changed multiple times. The schools are really scrambling to build the plane while they fly it.