Skip to main content

Reply to "Any ideas what college sports look like this year?"

@OskiSD posted:

Let me just say that the outcry around the country today reminds me a lot of parenting my children. Lots of time they wanted beach days but hadn't done their work in the classroom or around the house. They didn't get those beach days.

America didn't do the work necessary to safely play college football this fall. I hope we react to this like adults and figure out what went wrong and then fix those problems, even if the solution is difficult or unpleasant. 

Or, we can react like children and shout louder in the hopes that reality will magically change. 

It won't.

Perhaps the most ambiguous, annoying, and meaningless word that has been constantly associated with Covid is when taking heads in the media as well as ordinary folks use the word "safe" in connection with decision making.

Newsflash...there is no such thing as "safe" for Covid or anything else in life if what one means by safe is 0% harm. Instead of repeatedly using this meaningless word when offering opinions on what or what not to do, it would be more useful if people would quantify what they view as acceptable risk from Covid because this would then enable a constructive comparison with other everyday risks that people have to live with. Of course, forcing someone to quantify what they view as acceptable or unacceptable risk runs the risk that their anxiety over Covid is silly and irrational in comparison to the other risks that they willingly endure everyday of their lives pre-Covid.

Last edited by Zoom 2020