Skip to main content

Reply to "Any Math or Physics Teachers on Forums?"

quote:
Originally posted by Mike F:
Catching Coach,

But I'm curious about what you need the information for.

Thanks,

Mike F

Mike,

I have done a great amount of study on the time it takes catcher to get the ball in the air when making the throw to 2nd. I devised a drill a number of years ago that has enabled me to evaluate both major components of the throw to 2nd. The release and inflight MPH, and the actual relase time from glove to release. The drill was featured on the Jugs Website last year. See the link below.

Timing Release

What I want to be able to do is determine what a catchers likely POP time will be down to 2nd by just timing his release and his MPH at release. This information will be valuable here in New England where it is impossible during the winter months to get a chance to throw to 2nd indoors. If I have the MPH at release point, and the actual elapsed time of the release itself, the formula will tell me the actual time the ball will take to get to 2nd. This will allow me to chart a players training progress during the winter and be able to give the player a realistic expectation of what his actual time will be once he gets outside.