Skip to main content

Reply to "Any Math or Physics Teachers on Forums?"

I have been reading HS, College, and Pro catcher's arm strength on the oldest of radar equipment, and for a long time.

The debate continues whether to recruit a raw catcher with excellent arm strength (and average C&T skills) vs a polished catcher w/ excellent C&T skills, yet average arm strength.

Using the ol' pipe (ie Decateur), when finding a kid from behind the dish with an initial velo of 75 mph, I show pop times in the sub 2.0 sec range. This takes into account above average glove transition times (ie .75 to .80 sec)

Given a quality receiver w/ plus arm (ie 80+ Jugs), and plus transition (.75 sec), great feet, and hits left handed with power is special (and rare) and a high round draftable kid.

OBTW: Velo's at 75 mph release, typically reveal 67 mph at Minf glove (on the Decateur).

OBTW: Differences in Decateur and other newer radar guns (& frequencies) have shown to be:
- 4 mph (older Jugs)
- 5 mph (newer Jugs)
- 7 mph (old Stalker)
- 9 mph (newest Stalker)

May be seeing and chatting w/ Ellie Hendricks (former bullpen catcher - Balt) over the weekend, and will bounce it off of him.

If not, I am hoping to run into an ol' friend Joe Breeden (former bullpen catcher Marlins,, and now with NYY Tampa) in Jan 06, to see what he says.

Stay tuned.

cheers
Bear
Last edited by Bear