Skip to main content

Reply to "Any Math or Physics Teachers on Forums?"

Fungo:
It's not just the equation of time of travel vs. initial velocity - I think that is interesting, but not all that crucial. But the larger question of accurate timing of catchers' movements - I think that IS very important.

Let's say a catcher throws at high 70's, and pop time is 2.2. We know he can improve his release technique, just from that info.

So, video taping his release, breaking down the various elements and timing it can very well be what shaves two tenths off a release time, which is the equivalent of more than 10MPH on the throw velocity.

So all the complicated math was a way of nailing down one (if not more) answers: many times it is more productive to spend time and practice on footwork and associated release mechanics than arm strength.

He would not have had that confirmed if not for doing the math and proving it.

So, I DO think that the whole exercise has the potential to help catchers improve.

I used to hang around with a lot of pro golfers, and their teachers. Technology (video analysis, and analysis systems that measure things such as clubhead speed, angle of descent, open/shut face, squareness of contact) has clearly improved the science of golf instruction, and resulted in better golfers.

I think what Catching Coach is driving at is the catching equivalent of this kind of analysis.