Skip to main content

Reply to "Any Math or Physics Teachers on Forums?"

quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:
Mid 70s is a good velocity, but it does not show present professional level arm strength.

National Showcase

Jerry,

You just may be trying to say the same thing,
yet, there are contradictions in your words from the PG data collected.

Assumption: PG's 80+ mph reading is equiv to a 75 mph reading on my ol' pipe (ie Decateur)

Point #1. Yes, Langley (from GA) is special. However the rest of PG's "10" ratings for Catchers reveals 75+ mph (Decateur Gun equiv data).

Point #2 PG rating of "9.0" and above define "Potential Top 10 Round Draft Pick" to a 'Very High Draft Pick".

Point #3. Many (over 15) catchers from National Showcase link reveal PG ratings of "9.0 - 9.5". Among those catchers timed reveals low to mid 70's mph readings.

Point #4. For me a catcher's ability to demonstrate good arm strength (and potential for 'hill duty') typically reveals 75+ mph reading from behind the dish at release. My rule of thumb, is a +5 mph increase is expected should the catcher go to the bump (and w/ acceptable mechanics when on it.)

Point #5: I had a chance to chat with Ellie Hendricks last night before the MASA banquet regarding catchers
- pop times,
- transitions times, and
- radar readings for catchers.
I found it interesting that Ellie did not think about breaking down a pro prospect, minor leaguers, and MLB catchers to transition times and radar readings. He only used pop times. He also mentioned Pudge was consistently 1.80 sec (on a ball in the dirt.)

Bottom Line: Could the PG data on catchers pop times be consistantly elevated?

Regards
Bear
Last edited by Bear