Skip to main content

Reply to "Any Math or Physics Teachers on Forums?"

Bear, I have copied your post and my replies are in bold.

quote:
Jerry,

You just may be trying to say the same thing,
yet, there are contradictions in your words from the PG data collected.

We are capable of making mistakes. However, very seldom are there any contradictions.

Assumption: PG's 80+ mph reading is equiv to a 75 mph reading on my ol' pipe (ie Decateur)

We probably see more real major league scouts and college recruiters than anyone in the country. I doubt if we see one or two “ol pipes” still being used in this country. The equivelant is insignificant because we use Stalkers.

Point #1. Yes, Langley (from GA) is special. However the rest of PG's "10" ratings for Catchers reveals 75+ mph (Decateur Gun equiv data).

In my next post you might want to look at the rest of the “10” ratings for catchers. Once again, we use Stalkers as does most everyone in professional baseball. Your (Decatur) 75+ will equal over 80 on our guns!

Point #2 PG rating of "9.0" and above define "Potential Top 10 Round Draft Pick" to a 'Very High Draft Pick".

A 9 grade means - “Potential” top 10 round draft pick OR Top DI Prospect. Truth is most catchers are better off going to college. Jeff Clement we graded a “10” in High School. He was not drafted in the top 10 rounds. He went to Southern Cal and last year was the 3rd pick of the first round. Signed for 3.4 million. Was the “10” justified or not? Evidently he had the “potential” (key word) to be a “very high draft pick”

Point #3. Many (over 15) catchers from National Showcase link reveal PG ratings of "9.0 - 9.5". Among those catchers timed reveals low to mid 70's mph readings.

Next post I’m going to list those catchers from the National. Please tell me who throws low 70s on the Stalker. This was our National, we thought these guys were among the best catchers in the country before the National took place. It’s fairly obvious that they are as of now! Many of these catchers performed even better before or after the National.

Point #4. For me a catcher's ability to demonstrate good arm strength (and potential for 'hill duty') typically reveals 75+ mph reading from behind the dish at release. My rule of thumb, is a +5 mph increase is expected should the catcher go to the bump (and w/ acceptable mechanics when on it.)

Our rule of thumb is what we read on the gun and what we see with our eyes. We don't expect anything, we wait to see it! When we see a catcher with the right body and arm strength to possibly be a pitcher… We try to get him on the mound! ie. Dustin McGowen,Chris Garcia.

Point #5: I had a chance to chat with Ellie Hendricks last night before the MASA banquet regarding catchers
- pop times,
- transitions times, and
- radar readings for catchers.
I found it interesting that Ellie did not think about breaking down a pro prospect, minor leaguers, and MLB catchers to transition times and radar readings. He only used pop times. He also mentioned Pudge was consistently 1.80 sec (on a ball in the dirt.)

With all due respect… We believe the more information we can gather… the better. We have a committee that includes two thirds of the 30 MLB Scouting Directors. Unanimously… They want as much information as we can possibly compile. "Ellie" I'm sure is a great baseball man, but his job does not revolve around paying big money to the best prospects. If it did, he might be more interested in pure arm strength in addition to pop times.

Bottom Line: Could the PG data on catchers pop times be consistantly elevated?

This is the comment that most caused this lengthy reply. We take great pride in honesty and integrity! We would not be in the position we are today by elevating pop times. This comment seems to be an accusation rather than a question. I do not appreciate that!!!! We are not big shots who throw names around (though we sure could) and act like experts, we just work or as-ses off!!!!

Regards
Bear

Next post will also be lengthy. It will include CATCHER, PG GRADE, VELOCITY, POP TIME, and REPORT of all the catchers who attended the PG National at Turner Field this past June. We feel they are all Top DI Prospects and that should prove correct, for the most part.