Skip to main content

Reply to "Any single baseball moms?"

diamond4-

I'm a dad and I know that I shouldn't be here. Please excuse me.

You have done a great job in providing oportunities for growth and development to your son. I would go so far as to tell you that the approach that you have taken mirrors mine very closely.

My sister is a single mom and she has had the usual difficulties associated with single parenthood with no male role model. While I like to think that the role model that I provide my kids is indespensable, I know that they would do just fine if something were to happen to me. There lives would change but, they would be OK.

Keep doing what you are doing, learn about the game from others, by watching and, by asking questions. Discuss your ideas with, and make suggestions for improving his game for as long as he will listen. What you are doing may very well have a greater impact coming from mom rather than a dad because at about the age of 13 boys start to naturally separate from their dads and part of the separation process often manafests itself in the boy rejecting what his father tells him. This makes communication difficult at times. It's kind of a ****ed if you do, ****ed if you don't situation from dad's point of view. This leaves many (most) involved dads in the situation of either backing off and letting Jr. find (develope) his baseball opportunities and skills on his own or, getting into contests of will over the rith and wrong way to do things. Coaches have the knowlege to help your son improve but, they don't have the same level of interest as the parent. I try for for a balance and look to make the most of the opportunities presented to me when my son is in a more open minded mood. One strategy I use to get through to him is to get him together with a college aged player now and then to spend some time learning skills and practicing together. My son is all all ears and effort when I can make this happen.

My son is 14 and at this stage in his life. He has really conected with mom over the last yaer and looks to her for support. Krickey, if she knew anything about how to hit and field he would be far more open to the information coming from her than he is me. From my perspective, you are in a perfect situation to postively impact not only his game but his life as well. It sounds like this is just what you have accomplished. My hat's off to you.