Skip to main content

Reply to "Any Takers?"

roothog66 posted:

Ugh. Spoke to my son last night and he admitted that he never sees the utility bills. One of the guys just collects for the utilities and tells them each what they owe. Since it wasn't my money and was coming out of his scholarship money, I was letting him handle it. However, he also admitted to me that he only has $350 left in the bank and will need to pay January rent and utilities. 

We've been throwing $300/mo into his account for extra money, but now I'll have to cover January rent for him. I know, we've been getting off cheap as hell. His bank statements have been coming to the house and I haven't opened them, but last night took a look at his October statement and I immediately see where the problem is.

In October alone, he spent $722 on fast food - In-n-out, Panda Express, and Jack-in-the-box mainly. That diet is bad enough, but most of the charges show he used Ubereats or Grubhub. Jsus. He lives less than half a mile from those joints and grocery stores and WalMart. He has a full kitchen at his disposal. SMH. I made him pay the utilities ($230) from his money (but told him don't pay a dime until you see the bills). So, he gets to live the next three weeks until he comes home for Christmas on $70. At least he'll get a small taste of what real college students go through.

Hahaha... love it when we get blindsided by the next round of kid/teen challenges, just when we think we are moving past most of them.  We had some of the same things come up one year after transfer from JC but fortunately, we knew things were going to be tight so we happened to be monitoring the bank activities pretty closely at the time.  

We knew things were going to be tight because ...  Where we screwed up was having some stupid notion that the school would come through with housing that wasn't crazy through the roof.  Turns out school housing was over-booked with a long waiting list and coach had no leverage.  San Francisco rent for a very plain 2-bedroom apartment (with five players) was $3850 and that was three or four years ago.  I'm sure, now, it's north of $4K.

So, Dadof3, you may still have several years of begging in front of you 

Last edited by cabbagedad