Skip to main content

Reply to "Any Value in Responding to Generic Invites?"

Buckeye 2015 posted:

Unless your son is VERY young, I would hope he has already emailed the coaches of schools he's interested in before he gets the camp invite.  There is no reason to wait...if he wants to play in college, he should start emailing coaches by the fall of his sophomore year....earlier if he's a top level kid.  If he gets a camp invite from a school he's intereseted in sure, reply...with something along the lines of "Thanks coach, I can't make it to your camp, but I am definitely interested.  I had emailed you my info and a video on "XX-XX-XXXX", but I'm attaching it again just in case it didn't make it to you.

Question for you. On this site it is often said "don't showcase until you have something to show" . . . doesn't the same apply to sending a video to a coach? Let's say a RHP is topping out at 83 in the fall of his sophomore year. What is the value of sending an email with a video showing a rising sophomore topping out at 83? 

(You and I both know that many such sophomores will be topping out at 88 or 89 two years later . . . but if I'm the coach I don't know if a video like that in, say, October of sophomore year would help or hurt.)