Skip to main content

Reply to "Anyone Else Ever Had a Kid Train Tirelessly, but Show No Results?"

I disagree on the you have to have certain measureables part to some degree.  I think those depend on when you show the other stuff. The mental game, the ability to play the game, and the stuff that cannot be timed or computed.  Middle son had the measureables on every level, body size, velo, ev.  Younger son did not really have the measureables but had the success early on.  He was never a dominant speed pitching guy but had great location of multiple pitches and ice in his veins.  He is the guy that certain programs never looked at because of his lack of size and velo but those who saw him pitch multiple times liked that he gave his team a chance to win.  One top 5 P5 team HC told me that if he was 6'4" I would sign him tomorrow.  Well you can't grow 6 inches no matter what you do.  If you are a late bloomer when it comes to the other stuff you need to have numbers to get seen.  That is why I am a fan of travel ball early on rather than late if you are a very good player who does not have the intangibles.  You have to learn to compete at a high level and compete against the best to be seen.  Son finally in his sophomore year of college really got serious about working out and what he eats.  Lost 30 pounds and is in great shape.  Now trying to put it back on with muscle slowly.  But he will never be high velo guy or be 6'4".  He will dazzle you as they said on SEC network this weekend and show you four or five pitches in an at bat and still give his team a chance to win.  Measureables are great but they are not for everyone.  Some just have to outwork everyone else.  Control what you can control.