Skip to main content

Reply to "Anyone Else Ever Had a Kid Train Tirelessly, but Show No Results?"

There are some basic guidelines that you can go by - but they vary for position players and pitchers and they also vary depending on the depth of any given program & the level of competition that a given HS team plays. But for a HS position player, if you are not a Varsity starter (or a significant contributor) in your Sophomore (or sometimes Junior) year it’s unlikely that you will be high on any schools list to recruit. If you do pass that litmus test then you already possess measurables that are pretty good. At that point, trying to improve pretty good measurables should not be the focus. Shaving a couple tenths of a second off a 60 time isn’t going to matter. Neither is adding 3 mph to exit velo (meaningless) or adding 3 mph to throwing velo. None of those things make a player better in a game situation. What does make those players better is learning how to more effectively use the tools they have to be more productive in game situations. Learn how to read the ball and run the bases. Hardly any HS players do that.  Learn the mental side of the game. Study the pattern of the pitcher you are facing - instead of worrying about your walk up song. Bob calls these things developing the 6th tool. I think that’s the point that PitchingFan is trying to make - and I know it’s the point that me and Consultant are trying to make. Focus on becoming a more productive player. That’s the area that can make the difference and that’s what will get people talking about you.