Skip to main content

Reply to "Anyone Else Ever Had a Kid Train Tirelessly, but Show No Results?"

@NotMadeOf$$ posted:

The kid has a good 6th tool already; in travel and HS ball, the last 3 HCs he's had, in order, have been a former NCAA head coach, a former AAA player, and a 3x former HS league state champion coach.  He's gotten and is still getting excellent coaching, and he's a strong student of the game.

... but, I've come to believe (right or wrong) that these metrics are the baseball equivalent of the SAT.  If you don't score a 1500 on the SAT, then don't even bother considering the Ivies, regardless of how strong a work ethic a child has.  If you don't throw 90 across the IF or hit 100 off the tee, then don't even consider D1.  That sort of thing.

And it's the total lack of improvement on those metrics after months of work and size increase that exasperate and stupefy me.  I appreciate all of the responses.

Take a good look at both sides of this discussion. On one side you have seasoned baseball people with experience playing D1, coaching college ball, scouting, running Area Code games, etc. saying that recruiting is about more than metrics. We all say that because we have been thru the process at a high level of competition and we know it to be true. On the other side of the discussion appears to be parents of HS (and maybe some D3) players that contend that recruiting is ALL about metrics. Isn’t that interesting? Maybe some of you are being told that but if you are it’s categorically false. I have been at showcases where I have heard RCs tell a kid they would be interested if the kid could just get his 60 under 7.0 - but guess what? He doesn’t mean that! That’s a throw away line because the coach doesn’t want to be honest and tell the kid he has no shot. That coach doesn’t want to run the risk of being vilified on social media or getting some other kind of backlash for telling the truth. Our society has devolved to the point where people are reluctant to tell the truth for fear of repercussions and as a result people make decisions, and act on, misinformation. IMO this is how that plays out in college baseball recruiting. Sad but true.