Skip to main content

Reply to "Anyone Else Ever Had a Kid Train Tirelessly, but Show No Results?"

Son is a freshman D3 RHP....... he did Driveline for two years, spent a weekend at the Texas Baseball Ranch. No matter what he did, the velo never improved when compared to the work put in. Now to clarify, the time spent with DL and TTBR were invaluable, he learned many other things that he has incorporated into his pitching style to this day, the velo jump just never came. No matter how much work he put in, he couldn't get over the 80 hump. Now he is touching 85 and sitting 82-83. He is getting bump time as a freshman, because he is 80+% first pitch strike and 90+% of his pitches are delivered ahead in the count. Mentally, no situation scares him and when he's on the mound, he owns it. He doesn't always get the results, but when he doesn't, it doesn't phase him. He compares it to being a cornerback on an island in football, last pitch means nothing. This is what got him noticed and got him playing time as a freshman. When the velo didn't come, working on competing and being a better pitcher mentally was his focus. Its paying off now, the velo is creeping up. Last night he called me to talk about his plans for this summer, the first thing out of his mouth.........I need to work on my velo to get where I want to be.