Skip to main content

Reply to "Anyone have experience with a Pitcher who has double jointed elbows?"

One of my sons which is a twin is hypermobile. He can contort himself into insane positions. He is a pitcher/utility player. He is 16 and 2 months,130 pounds and 5'7". He sits 74 to 76 and tops out at 80. When he started pitching at 9 years old, the coaches had to work with him to stop rotating so much to create velocity. He is a low 3/4 boy and he whips the ball. After reducing the rotation, they worked on mechanics that would put less strain on his elbow and shoulder. The baseball starts low and behind his left hip. He is a righty. His lower half is facing the batter as his hand starts the upper motion for load. He has to do this to create torque. For my other boy this movement is impossible, but for a boy that is hypermobile, it seems to work. We tried crossfire some but it didn't work for him. I will say that he seems to get injured more than the other boy as he has had a hip apophysitis during the spring season that sidelined him for two months. Summer ball has been great for him and he has had great success pitching.