Skip to main content

Reply to "Anyone hear a rumor D-1 Colleges can not?"

Rick at Informed Athlete posted:

My hunch (and it's only a hunch) is that perhaps the compliance director of a Division I university or conference office issued a reminder to coaches to put down the stop watches and the radar guns to focus on the "instructional" aspects of a camp.  I'll copy the Division I rule that has been in place since 2007.  

Division I Bylaw 13.11.1.14 Tryout Events. A member institution or conference may not host, sponsor or conduct a tryout camp, clinic, group workout or combine (e.g., combination of athletics skill tests or activities) devoted to agility, flexibility, speed or strength tests for prospective student-athletes at any location. An institution or conference shall not host, sponsor or conduct any portion (e.g., instructional clinic) of an event that also includes agility, flexibility, speed or strength tests for prospective student-athletes that are conducted at a separate location. In sports other than bowl subdivision football, a member institution’s staff members may only attend (subject to sport-specific restrictions) such an event sponsored by an outside organization if the event occurs on the institution’s campus and is open to all institutions. (Adopted: 1/10/92, Revised: 8/5/04, 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06, 9/18/07)

And Rick wins!  I sent over what everyone had to say and the parent was still confused so he emailed the D1 coach.  Coach came back and cited Division I Bylaw 13.11.1.14