Skip to main content

Reply to "Anyone know anything about the ShowBall Showcase?"

quote:
Originally posted by infielddad:

You know Vector, I don't think you and I are going to be mailing birthday cards.
Can you quantify "nobody" in terms of a volunteer assistant in your vast experience?
Are you sure the showcase was staffed by volunteer assistants who were evaluating showcase attendees?
Wouldn't that be an NCAA violation per By-Law 11.01.5(a)?
Yes, you guessed it.
Our son is a "nobody" by your description.
Wonder why he is entrusted with coaching outfielders, coaching 1B during games, earned the title of "hitting coach" after his first Fall, is asked to scout the other team during BP to provide input to the pitching coach, works to get kids placed in Summer leagues, shows up 2 hours early for practice for "early work" with hitters and stays sometimes 2 hours and longer after and on days off.
Nope, I don't believe we will be sharing anything from Hallmark! Roll Eyes

Yes you and I do seem to be at odds over several subjects, but that might be due to you taking things too personally. Then again we might just have different perspectives.

My experience as it relates to the aforementioned is first hand knowledge since I know the staff in question. When I mentioned to the recruiting coordinator(assistant coach) why a particular "coach" was attending the event, he said it was just a way for him to get some experience. Technically he was nothing more than a first year team manager(you know what that means), but was given the title volunteer coach.
The trouble with you seems to be a willingness to look for areas of possible contention and then run with it. No slight of your son was intended since I do not know anything about him.

I also said coaches with experience and substance did attend some of these events as well. That may be a description of your son, but rather than choose to see the glass half full, you decided to see it as half empty.

Furthermore, not all volunteer coaches are low on the totem pole. Heck I know one of the most knowledgeable coaches in the country that agreed to take a pay cut and is now a volunteer. Yet he is one of the guys you hope shows up because if he likes you, you are in.

So rather than try to personalize things and look for areas of disagreement between us, just be a little less jaded when reading my posts. I do not harbor any ill will toward you and hope you feel the same.