Skip to main content

Reply to "Anyone know anything about the ShowBall Showcase?"

quote:
Not every coach who shows up is a decision maker. Some are nothing more than volunteer assistant coaches who are low on the totum pole.

Vector, you just can't go around saying stuff like this as a general statement. Perhaps you didn't mean the way it sounds?

My son's (2) pitching coaches throughout his time at Stanford were both 'volunteers.' And they were FANTASTIC! There is no way I would have ever thought to categorize them as 'low on the totem pole.' And I do believe that through their own camps that these coaches had a say in who was recruited and who was not. I could(?) be wrong about that, but I doubt it.

If I think about who the volunteer at Stanford is now, he's a young guy who no doubt is trying to climb into the coaching profession on a paid basis. This is just the way it works sometimes. I think you will often find that the players on a team are most connected to the volunteer coach...usually younger and easier to connect with.

As I think back about college baseball, two of the very unfair things about the way the game has been structured by the NCAA are the low scholarship numbers and unpaid, "volunteer" assistants.
Last edited by justbaseball