Skip to main content

Reply to "Anyone know anything about the ShowBall Showcase?"

Vector,
Very interesting response.
Let's see, this thread started with a group of folks(several) asking about attending the ShowBall Showcase.
Your post says your son attended last Summer.
I assume everyone posting and asking before you would trust your personal experience
Your post then includes this huge "HOWEVER" and goes on to describe that anyone attending should be wary, based on your experience, of the following:
"HOWEVER, keep this in mind when making your decision. Not every coach who shows up is a decision maker. Some are nothing more than volunteer assistant coaches who are low on the totum pole. That is not to say all of them are nobodies because they also have the recruiting coordinators present in some cases, as well as an occasional head coach. Still many are not in a position to make decisions, much less have authority to make an offer."

I have never been to a ShowBall Showcase, as you and your son have.
However, I do know that the NCAA precludes Volunteer Assistants from attending functions such as this to recruit or perform talent assessments.
Logically, your claims that "SOME" of the coaches who attend are volunteer assistants raised questions, to me, as to the validity of your disclaimers and cautions you provided for the readers of this site.
Not only would the prior posters be expected to consider and potentially rely on your comments based on you and your son's personal experience, ShowBall Showcase, whoever they might be, could be impacted by the discussion and your relating of an experience which might cause others to think twice about the "value" of exposure to a Camp, including some number out of 30 coaches who are "volunteers," or are "nobodies" and cannot make any decisions.
From what I can tell from your words, since I cannot read your mind, the truth of your experience was one "manager" at the ShowBall Showcase, which you readily knew when you posted the " However."
Additionally, you represent to have solid relationships with other volunteer assistants who attend showcases and evaluate talent, all in possible violation of the NCAA by law posted previously.
How can volunteers attend showcases to evaluate talent in light of the NCAA prohibitions?
Hopefully, even though you might not like it, dissecting the words which get posted can be helpful for those who are reading and trying to make a judgment on whether the "HOWEVER" in a post like yours is one which is valid.
Hopefully the folks who asked in this thread and those with ShowBall Showcase will be better informed by this discussion surrounding your post of your personal experience and personal knowledge of the coaches who attend, evaluate talent and recruit from this showcase.
Our son won't be attending any showcases to get "exposure" like those asking in this thread are seeking.
I wonder why you would choose to lead those seeking important information for themselves or sons along the pathway you did with everything you posted after However.
Last edited by infielddad