Skip to main content

Reply to "Anyone know anything about the ShowBall Showcase?"

quote:
At an event(not Showball) last summer a listed coach was fired weeks before hand, but there was a guy who showed up representing the school. Sure enough he turned out to be a "Baseball Operations Coordinator". Was that a violation of the NCAA rules? I don't know nor care, but he certainly was not a person who made recruitment decisions. Another event was suppose to only have head coaches, but the coach from the listed school was gone(quit or fired, I'm not sure which)and the "new head coach" showed up instead. Sure enough he turned out not to be the new head coach, but he was touted as such.

The bottom line and my primary point in all this is, buyer beware. If you have a problem with that so be it, we can again agree to disagree(assuming you can let it go which you have had trouble with in the past).

Actually, I am a father, a baseball fan, especially someone who enjoys college baseball and a person who really likes this site. But it always gives me Smile Big Grin when someone brings in the lawyer issue...and attributes it to information or "haunting warnings" from others.
The more you post, the more obvious it is that you have considerable experience with showcases.
It also becomes clear you are educated and far more familiar than most with many of the intricate aspects of the NCAA rules and how schools may try and skirt them or play on the edges.
With your showcase experience and awareness of the NCAA issue and implications, I would have to assume you knew exactly what you were doing when you posted everything in your disclaimer to Showball Showcase about having sufficient coaches with decision making ability attend in order to make the dollars and showcase worthwhile for those who asked in the thread.
In light of your obvious appreciation of the NCAA issues and the ways schools and staffs might seek to circumvent or skirt the issues, your "caution" to those seeking input seems more curious than ever:
" That is not to say all of them are nobodies because they also have the recruiting coordinators present in some cases, as well as an occasional head coach. Still many are not in a position to make decisions, much less have authority to make an offer.
In light of your posts, there surely is one area of agreement...showcases are buyer beware.
Hopefully, those reading this thread will be even more aware of what they might be unaware in showcases and posting on the site.
Vector, in September of 2010, you arrived on the site with posts like this one:
" As a few of you know from my first thread I have a 17yr old pitcher going into his senior year. We have not gone to the highly recruited tourneys and showcases last year, and time is obviously running out. His HS fall ball team has decent local competation, but they do not travel to the big tourneys where sctouts typically gather. So I'd like to know the three best options for him this coming fall and winter. We live in Florida, but would be willing to travel. Obviously showcases are pay and play, but for any of these invitation only tourneys, how do you find a team that is looking for pitchers? The second part of my inquiry is related to invitations to various schools camps. I get invitations all the time to send my son to various camps, but I've been under the impression it is a money making solicitation. So aside from maybe sending him to a few at schools he has a genuine interest in, are there any which have enough scouts from various schools to justify the overall cost?"
Contrasted with your last several very knowledgeable posts in this thread about many showcases attended and how they function/interact with college coaches, I think there is more to Vector than Vector has provided in seeking and offering opinions and advice. Eek
Last edited by infielddad