Skip to main content

Reply to "Approach?"

quote:
I know there are many different hitting philosophy's

247:

Thought I would throw this out for comment. I agree with the "get a good pitch to hit" and then explode on it approach endorsed by many.

However, you mentioned your son is in High School and often Coaches have a particular hitting philosophy or "Approach" they favor. Often that becomes the "Team Approach." I've seen more than one H.S. Coach implement a team wide "small ball" philosphy that entails; taking a 1st strike and trying to work deep counts, hit & runs, hitting ground balls behind the runner and so forth.

Personally, I think this example, applied across the board to every hitter, is a big mistake and serves to "hand-cuff" aggressive attack-minded hitters. I'm sure many of our High Coaches will jump on this and may or may not agree.

My son plays for one of these guys in High School and he sure knows how to inhibit offense and kill rallies. I'm not against good tactical baseball and sound execution BUT, what one hitter can handle and execute another may not be able to. I'd ask your son about the Coaches offensive philosophy if you haven't already.

On the other side of this, Jr. has been fortunate enough to play for a Travel/Showcase Coach who has extensive College and Pro coaching experience. The difference in adjusting styles to his players and when and how to employ strategies, or make moves, is like night and day!
Last edited by Prime9