Skip to main content

Reply to "Approaching college coach on playing time"

Our team had a bunch of turnover for this year.  We lost 11 or 12 seniors and I believe 5 other guys.  Couple academic and 3 that transferred.  They brought in 5 freshmen and 12 Junior College and D1 transfers.  Very competitive.  If you don't perform, you don't play.  Every year, there will be plenty of guys waiting in line to take your place.  Shoot, in the middle of every season, there are guys waiting to take your spot.  

My son is a pitcher and was hoping to be a starter this year.  Did very well during the fall.  At his fall meeting, coaches told him they were looking at him to be a starter and gave him a few things to work on during the break.  Came back and did well in all the intersquads in the spring.  Didn't give up a single run the whole month of January.  Season starts and he is not a starter.  The 3 weekend starters are new guys that are transfers.  He is a conference reliever, which is good, but he still wants to start.

I have told him the same thing everyone here is saying.  Hang in there, pitch good when you get in in relief.  Eventually, something will happen and you will get a chance to start.  One of the starters will most likely get a tweak or an injury or one of them will have a string of bad outings and when something like that happens you need to be ready.  I would NEVER hope for one of those things, but, it's baseball and it happens over the course of a long season.  When it does, the next guy needs to step up.  He understands that and has done well in his relief role so far.  

That's all you can do.  You never know what's in a coaches mind.  He may just like the way the guy looks.  He may just have a gut feeling about a guy, whatever.  But regardless, the other players need to do everything they can to be a team guy, work on their game and be ready when the opportunity presents itself.  

Last edited by bballman