Skip to main content

Reply to "Approaching college coach on playing time"

Coach, I'm not upset about it.  It comes with the territory.  I'm just letting some here know about the variables.  The other thing people need to look for is how many kids coaches keep on the roster,  I know it's not an issue at D1 schools because the limit is 35, but for all other levels, there is no limit.  Although my son's D2 school has a lot of JUCO and D1 transfers, they keep their roster reasonable.  There are 30 players on the roster this year, Last year, I believe there were 32.  I have looked at other D2 rosters in our state and surrounding states and some D2 schools have upwards of 40-45 players listed.  That would be another tough situation.  Competing against A LOT more players for a spot.

Even if a school brings in all freshmen and have a 30 man roster, the competitiveness remains.  No players spot is guaranteed.  No one comes into any season knowing they automatically have a spot.  Everything is competitive and you better live up to the expectations the coach has for you.  

And what you said earlier about EVERYONE on the team being the stud before they got there is spot on as well.  Especially if you are on a competitive, contending team.  Everyone there was "the man" before coming to school there.  It's not easy.  It is a challenge that every player needs to step up to.