Skip to main content

Reply to "Approaching college coach on playing time"

bballman, my response was not intentionally directed to you although I see how it looked like that.  That concern with JUCO is something many softball programs go through and so, my daughter's team is no different.  They did not get a JUCO this year.  

There are great comments here about the player addressing the problem.  My daughter's coach has an open door with the players and it is a real open door.  We all know that sometimes that statement is made but coaches don't adhere to it or get angry when approached by players.  My daughter loves the coach she is playing for.  He is as upfront with the players as humanly possible.  He is the same at the end of the season when he does his player evaluations with each player.  We should all be so lucky as to have someone like that who isn't afraid of telling a player that it didn't work out and so, maybe it would be better for the player to go elsewhere.  

In my case, there is no reason for me to ever talk to the coach.  My child makes a point of going to his office to talk about the team, classes, her goals this season and goals for the team.  Most of the players do as well.  That is how it should be done.