Skip to main content

Reply to "Approaching college coach on playing time"

Originally Posted by CoachB25:

bballman, my response was not intentionally directed to you although I see how it looked like that.  

No problem coach.  You've made some good points.  Lots to think about.

I personally would never approach the coach with any play time issues.  I may say hello or give a nod of the head or at the most make a non baseball related comment in a social situation, but never talk baseball.  I think players can talk to the coach, but I don't think, at least at this point, my son would.  If he ever approaches me about anything related to play time, I basically just tell him to get better.  I'm much more encouraging and nice about it, but that's the message.  Get better and make the most of your opportunities when you get them.

I think some coaches are much more approachable than others.  Some coaches want to keep that distance between them and the players and some want to be closer to them.  I don't have a big problem with either, but it is the way it is.  I think roothog66 makes a good point in that it might be easier to approach an assistant than the head coach at times.  I think the assistants overall might be less inclined to keep that distance.