Skip to main content

Reply to "Are agents necessary for later round draftees"

I can think of several reasons to need an agent all the way through the top 20 rounds. If there have been injuries in the past, then there are some special concerns. I believe that an agent is valuable in making sure that the club that drafts the player and the player get off to a good start in a way other than the team saying, "Well you signed for what we offered and we are happy now". Everyone talks about slot money, How do you know what that is if the guys 5 spots ahead of you and 5 spots behind you have not signed yet? A good agent can take advantage of the timing to help them figure out the slot. Big Grin

To focus only on "money" and not the fit and history of player development of the particular club, is short sided in my opinion. I know that agents are perceived as only money conscious. The advice I have gotten has been helpful. The college coach has his agenda, the summer coach has his, the hs coach has his, the agent has his, a smart parent will use all resources to help guide his son through the process. JMO Also as issues arise in the future it is my belief that having an intermediary to speak for you is invaluable and keeps emotion out of the equation. A player will need to continue to get guidance as he grows as a player and it can be helpful to have someone around to give that advice who has seen the pitfalls. JMO

I have found the advice to be invaluable. With all due respect to the hsbbw, it is a great vehicle for the college process, but it has lacked some valuable information in the draft process. I find some views parroted on this site that I have found to not be the case when actually dealing with the scouts and scouting directors. JMO This site does a great job of getting information out there and hopefully I will have more to add after the process completes.