Skip to main content

Reply to "Are all D3 Conferences created equal?"

smoke,

The answer to your question is a resounding NO, in my opinion. Some conferences, such as the SUNY, NJAC and WIAC are conferences made up of State Colleges and Universities which are well over 10,000 students. These are all public universities/colleges.

Many D3 conferences are made of student bodies which are anywhere from 800 to 2,500 and are private.

The West Region of D3 is made up of one conference in Washington/Oregon, Southern CA and 2 which capture Texas/LA.  Even though this is all of the D3 schools West of the Mississippi, they total less than 35  in total. That said, these are mostly smaller colleges which do very well in D3 baseball and have won a number of CWS over the past 10-12  years.

For players in the West, there are a number of top academic/terrific baseball D3 programs which I will call fly-over schools. These would include Emory, Trinity, Washington U in St. Louis, Case Western and others which recruit nationally while there are a number of other wonderful schools which are more regionally recognized for baseball and academics..

The Midwest, New England, South and Atlantic areas are concentrated with D3 schools, where terrific baseball is played and wonderful academic opportunities exist. Other than the NECSAC, these are schools which seem to recruit more regionally for baseball

Based on the breadth of air travel now from the Islands, it seems reasonable to look at schools in the following non-stop areas from Honolulu: Dallas(all of TX.), Chicago, LAX, Seattle, Portland. Surprisingly there are no D3's left in Northern CA.

If your son is pretty talented in the classroom and baseball field, look at getting him into the Stanford All-Star Camp and Headfirst West Coast near Sacramento where there will  be many D3 coaches from baseball/academic rich programs nationally.

Finally look at D3 college websites for information on the coaches. While a good player/student needs to be willing to take a risk, the length of time a coach has been with a program, the success they have had, and the quality of the academics can often speak volumes.

There is lots to learn about D3 and it is great you are starting to reach out. I hope this brief overview is helpful as part of your process and learning.

Last edited by infielddad