Skip to main content

Reply to "Are College Camps Wort It?"

Chico Escuela posted:
Ripken Fan posted:

After attending $$ showcases, tournaments , etc, it was a 2 hour fielding camp (winter of son's junior year) with what would turn out to be son's current position coach that was the best $75 I ever spent!  Good luck in your recruiting journey! I'm sure others will chime in.

Did your son attend this fielding camp after the school/coach had expressed serious interest?  I ask because often when my son emails a school, he gets an email response that is really just a form camp invitation.  I assume going to a camp in that case is unlikely to generate real interest from a school, unless a player really offers something pretty extraordinary?

Chico: Son was on the radar with school and had e-mail communication (probably at least once every 6 or so weeks) with the coach. He had become a "high follow" with coach once he ran fastest 60 at a Showball showcase with 225 players in December. Coach sent son nice personalized  e-mail which really changed him from "camper" to prospect.  The camp was during President's Day or MLK weekend, and a hitting camp the day before (same coach) was full. Unlike previous meetings with this specific coach (big showcases), this was more intimate. Players were separated by position- MI/OF/C, and I would estimate there were only about 40 in attendance. Son stood out. Coach probably observed intangibles as son interacted with current players who helped out at camp. I got to briefly meet coach afterward when I paid the fee. Son and I followed up with unofficial visit during winter break. Still offer wasn't made until 5 months later, and three more "observations" by RC and other AC. Every journey is different.