Skip to main content

Reply to "Are high school Baseball coaches good role model for high achievers"

I have no clue what the OP is trying to get across in this thread. All I know was when it came time for my son to apply for colleges and coming from one of the top school systems in the state, getting good grades, scoring ok on his SAT's, lettering in two sports including baseball enhanced his marketability to sell himself to get in the college of his choice.

While he didn't go on to play college baseball, he acheived success on the baseball field as one of the key players on the team as well as the in the classroom making the honor roll. I see his acheivements as part of his makeup. I don't quite get the connection with baseball and lack of acheiving in the classroom. His playing varsity baseball carried weight with the colleges he applied for. Making the honor roll and being a two-sport letterwinner displays his ability to maintain his grades and balance it with the demanding schedule of a high school athlete.

While grades are the deal, don't think that colleges don't weigh HS athletics (or extra-curricular activities/clubs)into the equation. They do, they asked him about it and he made it work for him.

Even though he was good enough to play at the D3 level and had he decided on wanting to play at the collegiate level, baseball wasn't gonna dictate where he would go to school.
Last edited by zombywoof