Skip to main content

Reply to "Are high school Baseball coaches good role model for high achievers"

quote:
Originally posted by wave:
Thank you. Please do share your experience. I am sure we all learn something from such discussion.

The reason I limit the discussion for a small group of students is that this group needs more help than other since they are less likely to excel in pro or even D1 sports. By widening their horizon, they may have a more balanced life in high school.

Question: why 4 year baseball? Why not a couple years here and there. Why not try 5 different sports.

Again, all my statements are never intended for individuals. They are meaningful only in a statistic sense.
I posted and deleted the following last night. I didn't want to brag. Besides, it's hardly unique to this board.

My son has an unweighted gpa of 3.7. His weighted gpa is over 4.0. He takes six high honors courses and two gifted program courses (the only two available/genuis IQ required). He'll take four AP courses next year. He's scored an 800 on his math PSAT. He played football, basketball and baseball in middle school while also playing travel s****r in the fall. He played s****r, basketball and baseball his freshman year. This year he's the only soph starting on two varsity sports in a large high school. He also does volunteer work for the Miracle League. Athletics absolutely gets in the way of his school work. He often has to leave school early for sports. He often comes home tired. But I'd rather have a well rounded kid with a sense of community with his gpa, than be a **** with a perfect gpa.

My daughter was not as intellectually gifted, but graduated with a 3.6. She scored over 2000 on her SAT's. She played volleyball, track and softball, earning eleven varsity letters. She played two years of college softball before receiving an internship in DC that was too good of a resume builder to turn down. She's one year away from graduating PBK. She has a 3.96 gpa. She scored in the top 10% on her LSAT's without prepping for them.

Sports have provided my kids an education that goes beyond the classroom. They've learned teamwork, leadership, sacrifice and time management. I wouldn't turn back the clock and have them do it any other way.

For the record, I have a friend who attended Harvard and graduated with honors. Another friend took seven years to get through Johnston State. He spent seven years skipping classes getting stoned and skiing. Guess which one is the more successful businessman now? Hint: It's not the Harvard guy.

You can't judge people based on grades and board scores. I know people with tremendous intellectually capabilities who can't find their way to the end of the street.

My background: Three varsity sports in high school, college baseball, undergrad degree in economics, MBA, successful bunsinessman. I was a good, not great student despite great academic potenial. I was told my downfall would be too much interest in girls and sports. What's really important is I have a great family, everything I need and a lot of what I want. After two years in the real world grades are irrelevant.