Skip to main content

Reply to "Are keyboards creating high-school coach killers?"

coach2709 posted:
No! Don't Call Bunt! posted:

I am not sure I could disagree with you more.  The parents are really the only ones who care enough to provide feedback and have a voice that can be heard.  Sure the students can have a voice, but the school has the right to discipline and ignore them.

Parents are the only ones who are actually watching the games. They care the most.  Who would provide constructive feedback other than parents?   The principal has all of the education and all sports programs to manage, too much to be actively involved.  Parents are the ones who are there. The only people actually available to view the product and provide informed opinion (and many parents uninformed opinions).  It is the job of the school and principal to weed out the uniformed opinion, take in all information and make decisions.  

Now, I a not suggesting this should be about game strategy or who should play.  But, feedback on being abusive, overthrowing kids, not building an actual program, etc. 

Also, this idea that school staff doesn't work for the parents.  They do, Parents provide tax dollars to support the school and provide the children.  Literally everything a school needs to actually be a school.  Students and money.

Well you are 100% wrong.  When you have parents who do not care about the program and just care about their kid getting what they want then you are not objective and should not have a say.  In terms of protecting from abuse that is a different story.  

No I do not work for you and I never will no matter how much taxes you pay.  The person who has no kids in the school system pays taxes - do they have a say?  I pay taxes so does that mean I'm self-employed?  I'm basically paying my own salary when I pay taxes.  That is such a weak argument.  Parents should be involved as I stated before but absolutely should they NOT make the calls.

"Now, I a not suggesting this should be about game strategy or who should play.  But, feedback on being abusive, overthrowing kids, not building an actual program, etc. "

I agree,  it should not be about parents advancing their kids.  It is not about "having a say"  it is not a vote. It is about who are the concerned parties.  The school is hiring someone with parents money to coach the parents children.  They have the greatest vested interest.  If that coach is doing a poor job, the parents are the people most likely to notice.  The person who does not have kids in the school does not know or care. The parents have a right to voice concerns to management and they can ignore or not.  

And, it is not just tax dollars. I know at our school tax dollars don't cut it. We pay a large booster fee, we run events to raise money, build better facilities.  These things last way past my child being there.  We don't and should not make the calls, but we 100% have a voice.  Hell, the coach holds a meeting before the season starts and asks us to contribute...that comes at a price...