Skip to main content

Reply to "Are keyboards creating high-school coach killers?"

coach2709 posted:

Yes coaches should be scrutinized but that's not a parents job and never will be.  Yes you have your opinion and you have your background in baseball.  Could be you are very knowledgeable or could be you're clueless - doesn't matter because it's very difficult to be objective when you have a kid on the team.  For every objective parent out there who can correctly assess how a coach is doing there's MANY who cannot.  Plus, I don't work for you - you don't hire me or fire me (well you shouldn't). I work for the principal and the school system and as long as they are happy then the coach should stay.  If they are weak and give in to parents then you are actually doing the coach a favor because who wants to stay in that situation?

Don't get me wrong - parents are vital to a successful program but they have their role.  That role just doesn't happen to involve evaluating coaches to retain or remove from a job. 

I think there are two ways to look at that.  I do believe it is my job as a parent to scrutinize the coach.  My kids health could depend on that.  My kids development could depend on that.  You are or have been an AD correct?  Maybe you are one of the very very few good ones.  Most AD's I have come in contact with throughout my years of coaching had little to no idea what was going on in my program.  They were usually football coaches who couldn't care less about any other sport but it allowed the school to pay them more money.  Once I even had a priest AD cause the order wanted to prep him for administration and decided AD would be a good spot.  He had no clue athletically.  And don't even get me started on principals.  The higher up you go in education often the more inept the people become.  Yes as parents we do need to scrutinize the coaches though I think your greater point is that as a parent we do not have hiring/firing authority.