Skip to main content

Reply to "Are keyboards creating high-school coach killers?"

I agree with much of what 3and2 said.  Times have changed.  High school coaches simply are not very good anymore.  Of course there are exceptions but the majority not very good.  My son does not play for his high school team.  Just a personal choice for a lot of reasons not only the coach.  We do have choices now.  And simply not playing there is one of those choices.  Its funny cause we live in an age where more information than ever is available to coaches and they just dont seem to want to drink.  I don't come on here much anymore cause I really tired of the arguments.  But you could go to the archives and find old threads from just a couple years ago with people on here, some coaches, actually advocating for hitting ground balls and denying that wingspan is a significant advantage for pitchers among other outdated points of view proven false beyond a shadow of a doubt by physics and statistics.  The tobacco spitters I call them.  "I don't care none about that science crap we do it old school here"  actually had a coach in a face to face discussion once tell me "I bet that physicist never played baseball"  I was sharing some Dr. Alan Nathan stuff with him.  He was having none of it.  He insisted you hit the top half of the ball to make it magically go up.  Now personally I don't know if Dr. Nathan played baseball or not.  Nor do I care.  The laws of physics apply even to Willie Mays.  Baseball coaches are some of the most backwards coaches of all.  Basketball coaches these days are afraid of their kids and run nothing resembling an offense.  It is street ball and they call it motion.  Bobby Knight the king of motion offense with many rules has to be shaking his head.  Football coaches  have no idea how to manage or manipulate the clock.  Maybe we could use a few more parents who never played the game to do some research and learn something then go into coaching!!