Skip to main content

Reply to "Are we behind in our planning?"

22and25,

I'll bet you a dozen doughnuts (raspberry filled) if this same guy (don't know who he is) is still running over a 7.0 in a few years, he will not be the starting shortstop for "the top Big 12 and some SEC teams".   This guy was most likely recruited for his bat.  MIFs are recruited first as they project to be the most athletic.  Almost all of my son's D1 position teammates were recruited SSs in high school.  However there can only be one SS in college.  In college, typically the incoming freshmen were given a chance to hit college pitching and play the OF until an infield position became available.   If the freshmen didn't hit, well then they didn't play the OF.    This happens in a lot of places.  My son's travel teammate played at South Carolina back when they were winning back to back national championships.  This guy was the #1 catcher in Virginia when he was being recruited.   He was a physical specimen.  When he occastionally found the starting lineup it was in the outfield.   Same deal. 

Indyball,

Don't concern yourself with the recruiting noise of other players and parents.  Players and parents tend to exaggerate.  Focus on your son and his goals.   Your son will have eyes on him next month at PBR and you'll get a sense of where he fits.  Your son "hits well and has gap power. 4.0 honor student".  If this is true there will be opportunities for your son to find a fit somewhere.  The college baseball universe is pretty big.  You just need to know where to look, and get the necessary exposure to the schools that are looking for your son's skillset.   Keep asking questions that are relevant to your son, and don't concern yourself with others...it is not worth your time and distracts your son from the end goal.  

Good luck!