Skip to main content

Reply to "Are weak hips a real thing?"

CaCO3Girl posted:
Bulldog 19 posted:

Your son's knee valgus movement (knees collapsing in) is caused by a weakness of the hip abductor muscles (of which there are quite a few). Most notably the two muscles you want to focus on are the glute medius and the glute maximus. Both of these muscles play a huge role in knee pain and biomechanics in adolescent athletes. 

While I believe you, and will look into those areas, I have a naive question.  I am interpreting this to mean my son has weak butt muscles, is that right?  What I don't get is how a catcher who sits in the squat position a LOT can have weak butt muscles.  Common sense would say that the catcher has the best butt muscles on the team...why the disconnect from common sense?

When kids are in the growth spurt years the growth cycles with muscles and bones can be out of synch. It can cause discomfort to the point of not being able to play a position or play at all. Eventually one part of the body catches up with the other. At his next doctor's appointment I would ask if there's something he can do or does he have to wait and grow out of the situation.

My son played through O-S and Severs. My daughter never had a problem except tripping over her duck feet. Until her growth caught up with her big feet she looked like a duck peddling down the street on her bike.