Skip to main content

Reply to "Are you "THAT PARENT"!??"

Ok my serious response.  It's old for those who have seen it before...  As a coach I always invited parents to practice.  Always welcomed them not in but around the dugout.  I even invite them to post game talks.  I say to parents "I shouldn't say anything to your kids I don't want you to hear"  Because of all this openess I will give you one guess how many parents hover.  Just about zero.  There were a few but for the most part everyone was at ease just knowing they could and therefore didn't bother with it.  Why do these coaches thing what they are doing is so top secret?  Who cares if a parent wants to watch?  How insecure are these coaches?  And if a parent is out of line then have the gonads to tell them to beat it.  All this 'that dad' stuff is just a matter of people who can't mind their own business and want to control everybody else's life.  What do you care how Mr. Smith communicates to little Johnny?  Why the ...  is it any of your business?  I parent my way and it takes all my energy.  I don't have any energy left to worry about how any of you parent yours!  For the record I have expressed zero complaints to the football or basketball coaches and don't plan on complaining to the baseball coaches.  I did watch parts of football practices - barely, mostly it was a boys club for some dads.  My 'friends' are now the fellow sports dads.  We have a blast just sitting around chewing the fat.  I don't hang out in bars (but have no issue with those that do), this is my version of hanging out in the bar.  Baseball will I watch practices?  I don't know yet.  Depends who else is.  If I have buddies there you bet I will when I can.  Would I sit alone to watch practice?  Probably not.  So am I 'that dad'?  Don't think so but by who's measuring stick?  And who has the right to use that stick?  And by the way I have an idea what then they can do with that stick!!  Let's all mind our own business and not worry about who is 'that dad' shall we?