Skip to main content

Reply to "Are you "THAT PARENT"!??"

2020dad posted:
ClevelandDad posted:

Nice post 2020Dad!  We have three or four of these type threads a year.  I am convinced that some parents have been taking things too seriously for time immemorial.  It's part of the human condition. 

I like your reverse-psychology take on things.  Let parents know they are not forbidden from anything and most of them will leave you alone.  Nothing wrong at all with a parent who wants to watch practice.   

Not only that Cleveland Dad, but if they have a complaint about something later on it is great ammunition...  (for johnnysako we will lay off johnny and use jimmy!)   so if little jimmy's dad comes over and starts complaining about jimmy not playing enough the response can go something like this:  Well little jimmy never is in the right place, doesn't know the offense.  As you know you are welcome to come watch for yourself.  Then you will realize what he is doing on game night is NOT within the offense as taught.  Then most will talk to jimmy about why he doesn't know the offense.  Still don't come to practice, the very fact you are encouraging them to do so tells them you have no fear and they believe you are telling the truth.  So now its on little Jimmy.  

Foxdad, not looking for a fight but I just don't understand your point.  You describe how you go about parenting your athlete.  I have no issues with it.  But are you telling me that if I visit my son at college and bask in the southern sun watching his practice it makes me 'that dad'?  Surely I must be misunderstanding you.  And as for your coach who closes his practices...  I guess that is his prerogative, I just don't know why you would want to do this.  (this is not a political comment...) I would much rather build bridges than walls.  Once you put up those defenses and start banning parents from this or that...  just builds animosity right off the bat.  I live five minutes from our new facility.  I could easily drop and go home.  But one of my best friends from the team lives almost an hour from there.  So I hang out with him.  sometimes we go out to eat, other times we sit and watch a game on the big screen there.  But we do in fact see the kids practicing.  We have a new kid, very athletic, left handed and a first baseman/outfielder.  My son may be the ex-firstbaseman.  I know this cause I have seen this other kid in action.  He may be more useful in the outfield leaving my son still at first.  But if this kid starts in front of mine at first base I will know exactly why - he is better!  How do I know this?  I have watched it with my own two eyes.  I am prepared for it rather than it hitting me like a bullet between the eyes opening day.  When people can see disappointment and prepare, it is just much easier.  

Certainly good points.  I'd like to watch practice.  Used to do it in youth ball all the time.  Like you said it's a "dad's club."  But now in HS, my kid wants no part of it -- I am "embarrassment."  His teammates will get on him. 

Maybe it's a sign of getting close to the season, but I am hankering to pick up a rake and work a field.