Skip to main content

Reply to "Are you "THAT PARENT"!??"

joes87 posted:
freddy77 posted:
.  The bringing a drink to the dugout thing mentioned here...  I could care less, knock yourself out.  But I have - right hand to God - heard people complaining about that too!  That in their mind just walking to the dugout to give little Jimmy a drink makes you 'that parent'.  

Bringing a drink to the dugout in HS ball doesn't necessarily make someone "that parent".

But for sure it's not a good thing to do.

Most parents with kids on my sons HS team bring drinks to them for the games.  Some walk up to the edge of the dugout to drop them off, others will have the kids come to them.  In general its to keep the kids from having to manage the drinks during the school day.  Most parents will either drop off a large jug of water, or 3 or 4 gatorade bottles along with some kind of small snack.  I guess I don't see much wrong with this.  Maybe because its common practice here, but the kids have enough stuff to manage during the school day, imo dropping off something to drink and a small snack is not a big deal.

Both kids asked me to get a water bottle from the concession stand multiple times. Since the dugouts had opening on the back I would place the bottle on the sill when they were in the field warming up. I kept me from being a distraction.