Skip to main content

Reply to "Area Code advice"

@Eokerholm posted:

You have to be invited to try out by a scout.

Not sure on Catchers, but when my 2021 RHP tried out summer 2019, they didn't care about command or control and ONLY VELO. Even if you missed the catcher and hit the net, if it was above 90mph, they kept, every single one.  Strikes and pitching package didn't matter. Made for an interesting underclass game.

Hence we didn't waste our time this year. Additionally, it's still too early in the "pitching season" as well. Was going to be in June and tryouts pushed to 7/20 in Texas, but my son was only at 16 IP post quarantine, so still ramping for the season. He pitches around 50-60 innings in HS. By late July we'd be in the 75-90 range and by now with how deep his team goes in Summer Tourneys and a lot of them. 

Get with a local scout for next year. Not sure what is required to get the nod as a catcher.

My son had to throw 89, on video or at PG event, in order to get invited. 

Different AC teams are run by different MLB scouts.  MLB teams can have different philosophies on what they look for and for the kids they choose. And area scouts are very tied into their area, they already know the kids that are going to get an invite to the tryouts.  They have been following the ones they want to see since 13 years old. The only surprises are who grew and who didn't, who developed and who didn't.

But best to be big, strong, fast and throw hard.