Skip to main content

Reply to "Area Code advice"

@baseballhs posted:

^^ I don't think that's true.  Last year my son was invited to the tryout.  They told him when we got there that he didn't need to throw in the tryout part, he was automatically in the scrimmage.  He had made the scrimmage the year before and had been throwing over 90 then.  He had said his body was sore that morning so he had done STEM several times. He was terrible in the scrimmage.  Only threw 90 and didn't have his stuff at all.  That night he had a 104 fever and the next morning he was diagnosed with mono.  He did not make the team.  I am certain he was slated to make the team before the scrimmage, so they don't just throw kids in if they don't show up with the tools.

During the showcase portion I watched a kid boot every ground ball with the exception of 2 (one of which he threw away). I then watched him pop every ball up into the turtle during BP. He was committed to a P5 program and he made the team. I'm sure the kid is a good player, but not that day. A teammate of ours didn't go to the tryouts, but made the team as well. It works both ways. 

I've been to three of those tryouts. I can confidently say that the team is not put together based on how well you performed that day. It's possible your son was a guy they were looking at, but he may have been one of ten guys competing for the last spot or two.